Monday, May 23, 2016

Echo?!

While I was visiting my Doctor last week for a physical, I just happened to mention to her that I have these random heart palpitations. Nothing scary, I just thought I should tell her because they happen when I'm sitting and really doing nothing. So she refers me for an EKG saying it's probably nothing and a baseline EKG would be good to have.

No biggie. I dropped into the EKG department Friday morning. It was quick, surprisingly quick and I chatted with the tech about how I have a friend who is also an EKG tech in another city. Then around 3:30 or was it 4:00 I get a call from my Doctor.

The first thing she asks "How are you feeling?"

I say fine.

"Are you having any chest pains or shortness of breath?"

I tell her no as I can feel my heart rate shoot through the roof. What the hell?

She proceeds to tell me there is an area on my right side that looks a bit sluggish and then goes into percentages and statistics about shit I don't remember. My heart feels like it is going to beat out of my chest. Then she says since were are doing other work ups (blood work, EKG, fucking colonoscopy) that she is going to refer me for an Echo Cardiogram...and then she tells me what that is and that if I feel any acute pain in my chest, arm, jaw and/or shortness of breath to call 911.

Again, WHAT THE HELL?

I spent the whole weekend trying not to worry about this, waiting for the call to come in for an ultrasound of my heart, wondering if the pounding in my chest and head is just a forty-eight hour panic attack or something much worse.

Oh the horrors I can imagine when left to wander around in my head.

I got the Echo at 10 am this morning. Have I heard back yet? NO! I was told the cardiology department will look at it before lunch and I should hear back today. Tic Toc people.

So. Many. Thoughts. Mostly blaming myself for what the hell could be wrong. I mean really, it would be no one elses but mine. Right? I know, not healthy.

I'll just keep busy as possible and wait.

I'm emailing the doctor at 4.

To be continued...

No comments: