Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Searching for my tribe

I tried a photography Meet-up group thinking I would get to talk and hang out with fellow photography lovers. The first meeting was a "coffee and talk." I ended up sitting at the end of the table with the gear head males. They were nice and I learned a few things from them, about gear. The next meeting was a Zoo shoot where I did meet the organizer of the group. She wasn't very warm or friendly and was clearly a gear head as well. I met a few more of the group as we ran into each other throughout the day, and they too were gear head males. I decided this wasn't who I wanted to hang out with. I know, maybe should have tried a few more meetings.

Then I decided to try a class at the local community college. There, I thought, I would be exposed to like minded people, and maybe make some connections.  What the hell was I thinking? It's an institution. Not that there is anything wrong with that but most of the people are in there early twenties working towards degree's and jobs. And really, I don't want to be graded because then it's work and stress. Plus I realized, this class wasn't going the direction I wanted. I did learn a lot in the time I was there and will use those tools going forward.

So, next? Maybe a workshop or seminar or a few of each. Maybe a different Meet-up group.
I'm thinking a group of mostly middle-aged women, creatives in a similar place in life as me.
One can wish.

No comments: